Friday, June 10, 2011

Ode to a 6th grader

My darling Doodlebug,

Gone are the days of waiting outside your classroom to scoop you up and take you for ice-cream.
Do you think it will look awkward if I try this antic when you start Junior High?
I long for the plays, the science projects, the Christmas Gingerbread making, and Dad and I taking photos at every turn--all of our relatives joining us to watch you perform "Let it Be". Tonight you leave on your
first camping trip-with-a-friend. Ahhhh--the fun you will have. The excitement of today, your last day in 6th grade--you and your best friend will talk about it tonight in your tent, and laugh--maybe cry--you are embarking on a whole new adventure. Officially a "big kid" you are now able to babysit, go with your friends' families on vacations--I used to love that at your age. Belly laughing until dawn, swimming in the lake with not a single care. You'll abandon your cell phone this weekend to immerse yourself in a completely freeing experience. I'm pretty sure texting from a tent is against the law.
Please take lots of pictures, and more, make room in your brain for this completely new experience....summer before junior high. Your yearbook promises "HAGS" (Have a Great Sumer), scrawls from your classmates--and you will. You deserve it.
I love you,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment